Environment and Pollution Databases
- Indexes to Journals and Books:
- Offers deep coverage in applicable areas of geography, agriculture, public policy,
social impacts, urban planning, natural resources, environmental law, ecosystem ecology,
environmental technology, marine & freshwater science, pollution & waste management,
energy & renewable energy sources, and more. It indexes more than 2,200 domestic and
international periodicals going back to 1888 (including over 1,350 active core titles) and contains
the full text for more than 920 journals. It also provides the full text from more than 190 monographs
such as the Encyclopedia of World Environmental History and
Advances in Water Treatment & Environmental Management.
Law Periodicals (LexisNexis)
- Articles from law journals and legal newsletters covering environmental topics.
- Articles from newspapers, magazines, and trade journals from many industries
that cover environmental topics.
- GreenFILE (Ebsco)
- Scholarly, government, and general-interest publications covering all aspects
of human impact on the environment - on the individual, corporate, local, and national
government levels - such as global climate change, green building, pollution, sustainable
agriculture, renewable energy, recycling, and more. Multidisciplinary coverage includes
agriculture, education, law, health, technology, and more.
on the Web:
- The online public access catalog of Long Island University's
six campuses. This can be searched from any computer. No password is needed.
- Online Video:
- Science Video Online
(Alexander Street Press)
- Comprehensive streaming video resource for the study of scientific disciplines. The collection
covers environmental studies, natural history, and the physical and biological sciences, including coverage
of chemistry, physics, biology, geology, oceanography, ecology, astronomy, and geography.
- Online Encyclopedias and Books:
Guide to the Endangered Species of North America (GVRL) (InfoTrac/Gale Group)
- Presents extensive data on the habitats and ecosystems of more than 1,200
species identified as endangered or threatened by the U.S. Fish and Wildlife service. Arranged taxonomically,
each entry includes information on the species, an image, recovery efforts, and a bibliography.
Cases and Decisions (LexisNexis)
- Federal and state court cases, along with decisions from the Environmental Protection Agency,
Department of Interior, Occupational Safety and Health Administration, and state agencies.
Encyclopedia (GVRL) (InfoTrac/Gale Group)
- Provides in-depth, worldwide coverage of environmental issues,
providing current status, analysis, and suggested solutions whenever possible, and
attempting to answer these questions from a variety of different perspectives.
Includes a chronology of environmental events, a summary of environmental
legislation, and a succinct alphabetical list of environmental organizations.
Encyclopedia of Energy
(GVRL) (InfoTrac/Gale Group)
- (See database page for description)
A to Z (GVRL) (InfoTrac/Gale Group)
- Provides the latest information on a variety of pollution issues,
including sources, disposal, remediation, careers, the ethical, social, & legal
environment, and much more. Articles range from topical essays on acid rain, cancer,
noise pollution, and zero growth population to biographies on key figures.
Database descriptions are adapted from each database's website.
NOVEL (New York Online Virtual
Electronic Library) is a statewide virtual library provided free to
the public by the New York State Library.
It is currently a pilot project funded through a Library Services and Technology Act (LSTA)
grant to the NY State Library by the Federal Institute of
Museum and Library Services (IMLS).
HTML by Robert Delaney