Criminal Justice Sources
- Dictionaries and Encyclopedias
- De Sola, Ralph. Crime Dictionary. New York: Facts on File, 1982.
Ref. HV 6025 .D43.
- This dictionary of terms associated with crime includes
definitions of foreign words, slang, and abbreviations.
- Encyclopedia of Crime and Justice. Edited by Sanford H. Kadish. New
York: The Free Press, 1983. (4 volumes) Ref. +HV 6017 .E52 1983.
- Using an interdisciplinary approach, this encyclopedia attempts
to draw together information about criminal behavior and
the response of societies to it. Each article is signed, has a
bibliography, and has cross references to related articles.
- Kohn, George C. Dictionary of Culprits and Criminals. Metuchen, NJ:
Scarecrow Press, 1986. Ref. HV 6245 .K64 1986.
- Has short entries on individuals who have committed or been
accused of committing an offense or crime over the last five to
- Kurian, George Thomas. World Encyclopedia of Police Forces and Penal
Systems. New York: Facts on File, 1989. Ref. HV 7901 .K87 1989.
- "A survey of the national law enforcement and corrections
systems of 183 countries of the world." Entries are organized
under four headings; History and Background; Structure and
Organization; Recruitment; Education and Training; The Penal
- Mickolus, Edward F. Terrorism, 1988-1991: A Chronology of Events and a Selectively
Annotated Bibliography. Westport, CT: Greenwood Press, 1993. Ref. HV 6431 .M498 1993.
- A chronological listing of terrorist incidents from 1988-1991 as well as updates of 1960-1987 incidents.
The brief news summaries include judicial action.
Concludes with a bibliography arranged by topical subdivisions. No index.
- Nash, Jay Robert. Encyclopedia of World Crime. Wilmette, IL: CrimeBooks, 1989.
(6 volumes) Ref. HV 6017 .N37 1990x.
- International in scope, this encyclopedia contains 50,000 entries, mostly biographical,
on people and events in the history of crime from ancient times to 1988.
- Rosie, George. The Directory of International Terrorism. New York:
Paragon House , 1987. Ref. HV 6431 .R67 1987.
- Alphabetically arranged short entries about people, events, and
organizations connected with international terrorism.
- Rush, George E. The Dictionary of Criminal Justice (Second Edition).
Guilford, CT: The Dushkin Publishing Group, Inc., 1986.
Ref. HV 6017 .R87 1986x.
- "Defines the words, personalities, court cases, events, phrases
and terms used in the broad interdisciplinary field of criminal
justice." Includes a section with summaries of major Supreme
Court cases affecting criminal justice.
- Sifakis, Carl. The Encyclopedia of American Crime. New York: Facts
on File, 1982. Ref. +HV 6789 .S54 1982x.
- The 2,000 highly selective entries attempt to cover highlights
and firsts in American crime including criminals, law
enforcement officials and criminal activities.
- Sifakis, Carl. The Mafia Encyclopedia. New York: Facts on File,
1987. Ref. +HV 6441 .S53 1987.
- Contains articles about mob leaders, crime families and related
- Wilson, Colin and Seaman, Donald. The Encyclopedia of Modern Murder
1962-1982. New York: G.P. Putnamís Sons, 1983. Ref. HV 6515 .W53
- Includes 2-3 page articles on 103 murders. Also has a short
- Thackrah, John Richard. Encyclopedia of Terrorism and Political
Violence. London: Routledge & Kegan Paul Ltd., 1987. Ref. HV 6431 .T56 1987.
- Provides short entries on ideas, theories, and terms that are
used in the study of terrorism and political violence.
- Law Enforcement DIrectories
- Juvenile and Adult Correctional Departments, Institutions, Agencies
and Paroling Authorities, United States and Canada, (date).
Laurel, MD: American Correctional Association, (date). Ref. HV
9463 .D57 (date).
- "Provides information on adult and juvenile correction systems
in the United States, its territories, the federal government
and Canadian federal and provincial systems." Also includes
"statistical summaries of fiscal, personnel and offender information."
- The National Directory of Law Enforcement Administrators,
Correctional Institutions and Related Agencies. Stevens Point, WI: The
National Police Chiefs and Sheriffs Information Bureau, (date).
Ref. HV 8130 .N37 (date).
- Contains addresses for county, municipal, state and federal
departments and agencies. Also includes county, district and
regional prosecutors, Canadian law enforcement and
- National Jail and Adult Detention Directory (date).
Laurel, MD: American Correctional Association, (date).
Ref. HV 9463 .N3x (date).
- This provides a state by state list of facilities. The
information provided includes starting correctional salaries,
budget figures, physical plant information, and average daily
inmate population. Also, includes "A Selected Bibliography of
Books, Reports, and Studies of the American Jail, 1973-1983."
- National Juvenile Detention Directory. Laurel, MD: American Correctional
Association, (date). Ref. HV 9103 .A54a (date).
- Includes listings of juvenile dentention centers and holding sites, as well as statistics.
- The National Prison Directory: A Prison Reform Organizational and
Resource Directory (Second Edition). Edited by Mary Lee Bundy.
College Park, MD: Urban Information Interpreters, Inc., 1979.
Ref. HV 8987 .U7 1979x.
- Organizational profiles are provided for local and national
groups with a prison involvement and for groups seeking reforms
within the police and court systems.
- Probation and Parole Directory. Laurel, MD: American Correctional Association, (date).
Ref. HV 9304 .P76 (date).
- This is a state by state listing of probation and parole
agencies in the United States.
- Scroggins National Law Enforcement Directory, 1984. Montrose, CA:
Scroggins National, 1984. Ref. HV 8130 .S37x 1984.
- A Directory of 27,432 law enforcement agencies throughout the
United States and Canada, arranged in six sections: Municipal
Police Departments; County Sheriffs; District Attorneys; State
Agencies; Federal Agencies; Canadian Agencies.
- Crime State Rankings 1995. Lawrence, KS: Morgan Quitno Press, 1995.
Ref. HV 6787 .C77 1995.
- Presents state data in both alphabetical and rank order. Includes sections on arrests,
juvenile arrests, corrections, drugs and alcohol,
finance, law enforcement, offenses, and urban/rural crime.
- International Handbook of Contemporary Developments in Criminology.
Edited by Elmer H. Johnson. Westport, CT: Greenwood press, 1983.
(2 volumes) Ref. HV 6028 .I57 1983.
- Has articles on general issues in criminology, followed by
articles on criminology in particular countries. Includes
- Legal and Law Enforcement Periodicals: A Directory. New York: Facts
on File, 1981. Ref. K36 .082x.
- This is a directory of 3,800 periodicals arranged by subject
and indexed by title. Includes subject divisions on Criminal Law and Criminology,
Juvenile-Delinquency, Rehabilitation and Detention, and Prison
- O'Block, Robert L. Criminal Justice Research Sources. Cincinnati,
OH: Anderson Publishing Co., 1983. Ref. Z 5703.4 .C73 024 1983.
- The primary objective of this book is to compile "into one,
easy-to-use source, a comprehensive collection of materials
that can be of assistance to criminal justice students when
gathering information for reports or projects." Covers such
sources as journals, general reference sources, historical
research sources and government documents.
- Sourcebook of Criminal Justice Statistics - 1986. Edited by
Katherine M. Jamieson and Timothy J. Flanagan. U.S. Department of
Justice, Bureau of Justice Statistics. Washington, DC: USGPO, 1987.
Ref. +HV 7245 .N37b 1986.
- "Brings together in a single volume nationwide data of interest
to the criminal justice community." Divided into six sections:
Characteristics of the Criminal Justice Systems, Public
Attitudes Toward Crime and Criminal Justice-Related Topics,
Nature and Distribution of Known Offenses, Characteristics and
Distribution and Persons Arrested, Judicial Processing of
Defendants and Persons under Correctional Supervision.
- Cordasco, Francesco and Alloway, David N. Crime in America:
Historical Patterns and Contemporary Realities: An Annotated
Bibliography. New York: Garland Publishing, Inc., 1985.
Ref. Z 5703 .C67 1985.
- An annotated bibliography concentrating on publications of the
last 15-20 years with an emphasis on items published after
1975. Was designed to serve the practitioner as well as the
academician. Includes about 1,900 entries divided into such
areas as white collar crime, drug offenses and gun control.
- Crime and Punishment in America: A Historical Bibliography. Santa
Barbara, CA: ABC-CLIO Information Services, 1984. Ref. Z 5703.5 .U5 1984.
- "Designed to provide immediate and thorough access to the
modern scholarship on crime and criminal justice in American
history". It provides 1,396 abstracts of articles on crime in
America written between 1973 and 1982.
- Newton, Michael. Mass Murder: An Annotated Bibliography. New York:
Garland Publishing, Inc., 1988. Ref. Z 5703.4 .M87 N49 1988.
- An annotated bibliography arranged in three sections: General
and Encyclopedic Works: Specialized/Psychological Works; Case
Histories. Includes a subject index.
- Doleschal, Eugene. A Guide to the Literature on Organized Crime: An
Annotated Bibliography Covering the Years 1967-1981. Hackensack, NJ:
National Council on Crime and Delinquency, 1981. Ref. HV 6789 .D64.
- Contains summaries of documents, books, pamphlets, journal
articles and unpublished material on organized crime written
between 1967 and the first half of 1981.
- Radzinowicz, Leon and Hood, Roger. Criminology and the Administration
of Criminal Justice: A Bibliography. Westport, CT: Greenwood
Press, 1976. Ref. Z 5118 .C9 R3.
- This is a bibliography of articles from journals and books
arranged in seventeen categories and covering a ten year
- Online Resources
- The following databases and websites can be used to find information on
topics in criminal justice:
Criminal Justice Abstracts
- Lexis-Nexis Academic Universe
- Westlaw Campus
- Congressional Universe
- GPO: Government Printing Office Monthly Catalog
- Sociological Abstracts
- NCJRS: National Criminal Justice Reference Service
- U.S. Department of Justice
- FBI: Federal Bureau of Investigation
- U.S. Department of Homeland Security
- Bureau of Justice Statistics
- More Websites
- More Resources at the Library
Compiled by Ruth Macy and Kelly Nagle
Revised by Laura Manzari, 1996