Search from Home Database Guide
Students and faculty have access to over 250 online databases on
a broad range of subjects. Most of the databases are available
from home as well as on campus.
Get a Barcode:
To search the databases from home, all you need is a barcode on
your LIU I.D. card. You can get a barcode from the Circulation Desk in
the Library. Don't forget to renew your barcode each fall, and in
the summer if you take classes. Faculty must renew annually.
To access the databases from home:
- Go to: http://library.liu.edu
- Under the LIU Post header, click on Online Databases
- Choose a topic from the subject list. If you know the specific
database, click on the alphabetic list
- Select a database; only those marked
are available from home
- When the window opens, enter your barcode number (omit all spaces)
Keep in Mind:
Not all databases are created equal!
- While most library databases provide access to articles in
magazines, journals, and newspapers, some provide very different
information such as country overviews or financial data
- Some databases provide more popular information vs scholarly
information, and vice versa
- Some databases provide many full-text articles, while others
provide only some full-text, and still others provide no
full-text information, only citations
- If you have any questions please do not hesitate to ask a librarian!
Having Technical Problems?
If you have problems accessing the databases, consider:
- Is your barcode up-to-date?
- Do you have a firewall on your computer?
- Are Cookies disabled on your computer?
- Are you using AOL as your browser? (some databases work better with Internet
- Are you using pop-up blocker software?
If you are still having problems:
- LIU Libraries Online, Print, Microform, Periodicals
(Ebsco A-to-Z) : Some databases
contain citations to articles but not the full text. This page will let you know if another database
contains the full text of the particular journal, magazine, or newspaper that you need. For
publications not available online, it will also provide links to our holdings lists of print and
Revised August 2012